Faculty of Design for Welfare Society
Create a present and future where people live together in harmony.
Here you can become a professional who contributes to realizing and developing a society where all people are treated with dignity and can live in good health. You will cultivate the ability to comprehend diverse and complex issues in modern society from many perspectives, and collaborate with deep understanding of various specialized domains, in order to acquire knowledge and practical skills that enable you to shape the society of the future.
- Department of Social Welfare Studies
- Here you will acquire knowledge and practical skills required in support-related work based on the study of social welfare, with the aim of realizing an inclusive society where all people can live together while being true to themselves. You will study in depth policies and systems for responding to social and economic changes, as well as the welfare business and more, so that you can be a professional capable of using creativity and leadership to contribute to many different fields in Japan and abroad.
- Department of Child Studies
- Through study based on a foundation of childcare, early childhood education, and child and family welfare, you will gain a deeper understanding of diverse issues related to children, as well as their parents, families, and communities. You will also become an expert capable of supporting the wellbeing of children, contributing to the creation of better local communities, and working in collaboration with other professionals. Furthermore, you will become a professional of support for children, who contributes to realizing multicultural societies both in Japan and abroad.
- Department of Human Environment Design
- Through craftsmanship, you will study “universal design” in society, cities, homes, and other places where many different people live their lives. By acquiring knowledge and technology of design that gives shape to ideas, and getting a deeper understanding of socio-economic issues, you will broaden your horizon to include the role and potential of design in the real world, and develop a perspective for comprehensively examining human behavior.
The Learning Columns present articles and videos that describe the activities of Toyo University students and departments.
By the Way, What’s “Welfare?”
Koichi Inazawa, Professor (Department of Social Welfare Studies / Faculty of Design for Welfare Society)
Research Field: Mental Health and Welfare Theory
What are the Appeals of Designs?
Chitose Ikeda, Professor (Department of Human Environment Design / Faculty of Design for Welfare Society)
Research Fields: Product Design, Universal Design
Providing Support for Those Caring for Elderly Family Members
Michiyo Watanabe, Associate Professor (Department of Social Welfare Studies / Faculty of Design for Welfare Society)
Research Fields / Research Themes: Social Welfare, Support for Families Providing Nursing Care
Maiko Sugawara, Professor (Department of Human Environment Design / Faculty of Design for Welfare Society)
Main Research Themes: Local community planning, Resident-oriented community planning, Urban residential environment improvement
Care workers in step with the times -Looking 100 years ahead-
Yuko Yagi, Associate Professor (Department of Social Welfare Studies / Faculty of Design for Welfare Society)
Research Keywords: Nursing Care, Social Care Work, Disaster Care
The Living Environment for the Super-Aging Society – Initiatives for Elderly Fall Prevention –
Yoko Mizumura, Professor (Department of Human Environment Design / Faculty of Design for Welfare Society)
Research Areas: Housing Studies, Housing Program, Residential Environment Program for the Disabled and the Elderly, Housing Policy of Sweden