Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Today’s nutrition and health builds a brighter tomorrow.
There are growing expectations regarding research on food and health that underpins high-quality lifestyles full of health and vigor. The Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences enables students to acquire comprehensive knowledge regarding food safety and its functions, the human body and nutrition, and to solve these problems in the real world.
- Department of Food and Life Sciences (Food Science Course)
- The Food Science Course, in the Department of Food and Life Sciences, aims to produce experts that can contribute to people’s health and food safety in the globalizing food field, adopting scientific perspectives toward food, based on knowledge and techniques related to cutting-edge biotechnology. Students can learn basic bioscience regardless of whether their focus is in the humanities or sciences.
- Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences
- In the 36th National Examination for Registered Dietitians held in February 2022, 88 applicants all took the test and 83 passed. (rate of 94.3%)
- Students in the Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences learn relationships between people’s health and food based on knowledge of biosciences. We aim to cultivate specialists, including managerial dieticians who support dietary lifestyles, in various fields regarding food and nutrition. Also, we provide students with the mentality and ability to learn and explore by themselves, with the broad perspective and range of learning opportunities unique to a comprehensive university.
The Learning Columns present articles and videos that describe the activities of Toyo University students and departments.
Thinking About the Food Environment, -What We Can Do to Reduce Food Loss-
Jun Sato, Professor (Department of Food and Life Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
Main Research Theme: Food Microbiology, Growth Behavior and Control of Bacteria Measurement Methods for Bacteria
Understanding the Mysterious Mechanisms of Bacterial Spores
Makoto Fujisawa, Associate Professor (Department of Nutritional and Health Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
Research Field: Biological science, Functional biochemistry
What Sugar is All About -The Third Chain of Life-
Nobumitsu Miyanishi, Professor (Department of Food Life Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
Research Field: Structural-Functional Analysis of Sugar Chains and Carbohydrate-Related Molecules