Faculties and Departments
As a comprehensive university with a broad range of faculties and departments in the humanities and sciences, Toyo University provides an environment for a diversity of study styles.
- Faculty of Letters
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Sociology
- Faculty of Global and Regional Studies
- Faculty of International Tourism Management
- Faculty of Information Networking for Innovation and Design
- Faculty of Design for Welfare Society
- Faculty of Health and Sports Sciences
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Information Sciences and Arts
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Faculty of Letters
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Eastern Philosophy and Culture
- Department of Japanese Literature and Culture
- Department of English and American Literature
- Department of History
- Department of Education (Human Development Course)
- Department of Education (Primary Education Course)
- Department of International Culture and Communication Studies
The Faculty of Letters has a history that stretches back more than 120 years. Its mission is to explore the true nature of human beings and society in ways that are not bounded by specific ages and national borders. With stress on three important skills that human beings require to live better lives—namely, “reading ability,” “writing ability,” and “thinking ability”—It develops the human resources that will blaze the way forward in the coming age.
Faculty of Economics
- Department of Economics
- Department of International Economics
- Department of Policy Studies
The Faculty of Economics is consistently focused on the “contemporary economics” of the age. Its departments study current Japanese and global economics based on the foundational theories of economics, including macro/micro economics. It explores future visions of Japanese and international society from global and comprehensive perspectives.
Faculty of Business Administration
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Accounting and Finance
The Faculty of Business Administration studies management methods and market environments that can respond to a rapidly changing society, and engages in scientific exploration of the various challenges facing companies. At a time of increasingly globalized corporate activity, the Faculty of Business develops human resources capable of succeeding even as economics and society become more diversified and complex.
Faculty of Law
- Department of Law
- Department of Business Law
More and more, the ability to resolve legal issues and conflicts is coming into demand as our society becomes more globalized and its values diversify. The Department of Business Law cultivates students’ ability to think flexibly for success in a wide variety of fields. It also gives students communicative skills and cultural refinement in addition to legal knowledge.
Faculty of Sociology
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Global Diversity Studies
- Department of Media and Communications
- Department of Social Psychology
Students of the Faculty of Sociology consider the issues confronting modern society in a curriculum that simultaneously stresses theory and empirical analysis. By accumulating knowledge through cutting-edge research and conducting fieldwork, students develop the ability to apply multifaceted approaches to actual social phenomena.
The Department of Sociocultural Studies will stop accepting applications after the entrance examination in 2020, and will be reorganized into the Department of Global Diversity Studies in April 2021.
Faculty of Global and Regional Studies
- Department of Global Innovation Studies
- Department of Regional Development Studies Regional Development Studies Course
Taking a global perspective, the Faculty of Global and Regional Studies focuses on study for the creation of systems and values for the new age. With an approach rooted in the principle “think globally, act locally,” it strives to develop human resources capable of becoming leaders on the international stage.
Faculty of International Tourism Management
- Department of International Tourism Management
Students in the Faculty of International Tourism Management gain skills for supporting an increasingly globalized tourism industry and conveying Japanese culture to the world. They also gain the ability to consider carefully the industry’s ideal forms and future. The curriculum develops a deep understanding for Japan’s culture and history and the ability to bring the industry’s aspirations to fruition.
Faculty of Information Networking for Innovation and Design
- Department of Information Networking for Innovation and Design
Learning in the Faculty of Information Networking for Innovation and Design is oriented toward linking people, systems, organizations, and fields using information and communication technology (ICT) and producing heretofore nonexistent businesses. Students strive to create new products and values as they gain programming skills for quickly translating ideas into form.
Faculty of Design for Welfare Society
- Department of Social Welfare Studies
- Department of Child Studies
- Department of Human Environment Design
Here you can become a professional who contributes to realizing and developing a society where all people are treated with dignity and can live in good health. You will cultivate the ability to comprehend diverse and complex issues in modern society from many perspectives, and collaborate with deep understanding of various specialized domains, in order to acquire knowledge and practical skills that enable you to shape the society of the future.
Faculty of Health and Sports Sciences
- Department of Health and Sports Sciences
- Department of Nutritional Sciences
Philosophy, science, and passion are all essential to creating human value through sports. You will help improve people's quality of life (QOL) through sports, and solve social issues caused by the declining birthrate, aging population, and globalization. Here you will study cutting-edge, expert knowledge and skills related to health, sports, food, and nutrition, and create new potential in these fields.
Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Electrical, Electronic and Communications Engineering
- Department of Applied Chemistry
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Architecture
The Faculty of Science and Engineering fuses engineering, which is people-centered technology, and science, which is based on the laws of nature. In collaboration with industrial circles, it aims to cultivate the human resources that will take the lead in developing the manufacturing technologies needed by future generations. It also seeks to produce researchers and engineers who possess a well-developed sense of human compassion and philosophy.
Faculty of Information Sciences and Arts
- Department of Information Sciences and Arts
The Faculty of Information Sciences and Arts develops the “first-rate creators and users of information” that will lead the knowledge- and information-based society. Students gain a broad perspective on the ways in which information and communication technology (ICT) can be utilized as well as concepts and skills for the precise gathering, compilation, and expression of information in various fields.
Faculty of Life Sciences
- Department of Life Sciences
- Department of Applied Biosciences
The Faculty of Life Sciences aims to shed light on the mysteries of life at the molecular, cellular, and organismic levels and to apply the fruits of this endeavor to people’s lives through the medical and environmental fields. It seeks to build a comprehensive understanding of life and to development human resources capable of contributing to local society.
Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences
- Department of Food and Life Sciences (Food Science Course)
- Department of Nutritional and Health Sciences
Increasingly, the public is looking to food and health-oriented research for answers in helping people live active and high-quality lives. Against this backdrop, the Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences engages in comprehensive exploration of nutrition, the human body, and food function. It also cultivates human resources capable of making contributions in fields related to life, health, and food safety and security
Toyo University also opens the way to graduate school for those students who wish to take their studies to the next level.
[ Graduate Schools ]