New Entry Rule for International Students Who Are Entering Japan for the First Time (Updated 3/9/2022)
(Updated on March 9th, 2022)
We will inform you of the latest information and changes as of March 9th.
■ Details of relaxation of border restrictions
・ The total number of entrants/day will be increased from 5,000 to 7,000 from March 14th. (this includes Japanese, re-entrants and others)
・ In addition to the above 7,000 entrants, the government will introduce "Immigration Entry Scheme for International Students" which will allocate a new immigration quota of 1000 international students/day from mid-March to the end of May. The details will be announced as soon as it has been decided.
■ After entering Japan
We have received many inquiries regarding the isolation period and place after entering Japan. Please ensure to check the answers in "Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)".
The registration on AMARYS is now open. Please complete the necessary information on AMARYS immediately. Please make sure to complete the information at least 2 weeks upon your arrival date in Japan.
■ Request to the international students
Toyo University has considered the most effective way to accept international students swiftly and responsibly, and therefore has adopted the current procedures. Toyo University has been looking forward to receiving international students to enter Japan to study with us and is doing its best with the hope that you can enter Japan as soon as possible to experience a meaningful study abroad life. As you can see in the "Frequently Asked Questions", we are preparing all aspects we can to anticipate your arrival and greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
* Toyo University acts as the responsible institution for accepting international students under the relaxation of border restrictions policy this time. If you do not follow the instructions from Toyo University and/or listed on AMARIS, including giving a false statement about information such as the number of vaccinations and the name of the vaccinations, we have the right to refuse your arrival as international students. Toyo University expects all international students to provide us with information in an honest and trustworthy manner.
(Updated on March 4th, 2022)
Important information about pre-departure procedures and your arrival to Japan.
Toyo University asks international students and exchange/study abroad students to quarantine/self-isolate for 8 nights and 9 days in a designated accommodation after entering Japan.
What happens next?
- Step 1. Make sure that you have your ERFS certificate.（Provided via postal mail or Toyo Net-ACE）
- Step 2. Once you have your ERFS certificate and COE, apply for your student visa at the nearest embassy/consulate in your country of residence.
- Step 3. After you have received your student visa, book and issue your flight ticket. We do not require you to arrive on specific dates.
Register and update the latest data related to your entry into Japan on the online platform ‘AMARYS’. Note: At the moment, we are making final adjustments to ‘AMARYS’ and it will be made available next week or sooner.
- Step 5. Arrive in Japan. For details about the quarantine/self-isolation procedure upon entering Japan, please check the Q&A section.
Quarantine/Self-isolate* for 8 nights and 9 days.
Please check the Q&A section for details about how to get your ERFS and COE.
*There are no designated entry dates. You may enter Japan any day beginning March 10.
* Students who have completed 3 vaccinations and are departing from non-designated countries/regions are not required to quarantine/self-isolate in a stipulated accommodation. However, please note that if your country/region is removed from the list of non-designated countries/regions, you will be required to quarantine/self-isolate for 8 nights and 9 days in an accommodation stipulated by Toyo University.
* All costs will be borne by the students.
■ Before entering Japan
・ You need to monitor your health for 14 days before leaving your country of residence. Please measure your body temperature every day and register the results on AMARYS.
・ In the information updated on March 1, it was stated that the travel/inbound insurance will be charged when you enter Japan, but the rule is no longer valid. However, please be sure to purchase overseas travel insurance in your country before entering Japan. (covering a two-week period)
・ Currently, all entrants including Japanese citizens, re-entries and returnees are required to submit a ‘negative’ test result certificate for COVID-19, which has to be conducted within 72 hours before departure. Please avoid places where a large number of people gather such as farewell parties and get-together events, especially after taking the COVID-19 test.
■ After entering Japan
・ We do not provide pickup service at the airport. You are allowed to use public transportation for the first 24 hours after entering Japan. Please feel free to travel to your quarantine/self-isolation place/accommodation using public transportation.
* If you are instructed to quarantine/self-isolate in a facility designated by the quarantine station, please follow the instructions in the airport.
* If you are not required to quarantine/self-isolate, please go directly to your accommodation.
*The original period of check-in at our dormitory, the AI-House, was announced as March 25th. However, you are allowed to move in any time after March 10th since there is a possibility that you can enter Japan before March 25th. (Your dormitory fee will be calculated on a daily basis in the event that you move in after March 10th.)
・If you are required to undergo quarantine/self-isolation, you will be required to spend 8 nights and 9 days in an accommodation facility designated by Toyo University. You cannot stay in a relative/friend’s place in Japan. If you will reside in the AI-House, you will be allowed to check-in after the quarantine/self-isolation period of 8 nights and 9 days is completed.
・If you are required to undergo quarantine/self-isolation, we will ask you if you would like to order meals (optional) during your isolation, by registering on AMARYS.
* Some details have been changed since the latest update on March 1st. Please double check the revised details in correction line in red.
(Updated on March 1st, 2022)
On February 17, the Japanese government announced that entry restrictions will be lifted on March 1st and entry measures into the country will be relaxed. However, there is a limitation on the number of people entering the country per day. International students will not be allowed to enter Japan all at once. Therefore, it is predicted that it might take some time for all the international students to enter the country. We will share updates about how to report your flight information, hotel address and so on to Toyo University after March 8th.
■Updated details about relaxation of border restrictions
・ Toyo University has resumed the visa application system required by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare from February 25th at 10:00 am.
・ Entry into Japan is no longer based on the issuance date of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You can apply for your student visa once you have your ERFS certificate and COE.
Please do not book your flight tickets until after you have obtained your student visa.
・The specifics about your quarantine period will depend on the number and type of vaccinations you have received. Please refer to the chart below for details.
・ International students are allowed to use public transportation to travel from the airport to the hotel/accommodations within 24 hours after the immigration inspection.
・ A three-day quarantine is mandatory only if the COVID-19 test result shows negative on the third day (the arrival day is counted as day 0 and the COVID-19 test will be done on the fourth day after your arrival). ・ The quarantine/waiting period for those who are required to self-isolate at home is seven days. However, your self-isolating period is over if the COVID-19 test result shows negative on the third day (the arrival day is counted as day 0).
・ The number of entrants from overseas is limited to
5,000 7,000 per day (including Japanese nationals, re-entry permit holders, etc.)
(*) Only for the COVID-19 vaccination certificates that are approved valid for entry into Japan.
■ The Quarantine Period after Arrival
(incl. transit points)
Do you have proof of having received three doses of vaccination**?
Quarantine Period after Arrival
Designated country/region that is considered a COVID-19 “hot spot”
Designated country/region that is NOT considered a COVID-19 “hot spot”
*Designated countries/regions are subject to change
**Only applies to the vaccination type that is recognized by Japanese government.