New Entry Rule for International Students Who Are Entering Japan for the First Time (Updated 2/28/2022)
(Updated on Feb 28, 2022)
Toyo University started applying for the ERFS certificates designated by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare from February 25 and gradually obtain the acceptance of ERFS certificates for the international students. The issued ERFS certificates will be sent in an attachment file to the ToyoNet ACE for the students who already have the actual CoE. However, for those who have not received the CoE, we will be delivering the ERFS certificates together with the CoE by mail.
Furthermore, for the students whose CoE is no longer valid (the CoE expiration date is three months after the issuance date written on your CoE), a ‘pledge/clarification’ (Toyo University will provide you with this) is required when applying for a student visa. This ‘pledge/clarification’ will be attached to the ToyoNet ACE or will be delivered by mail together with the CoE and ERFS certificates.
(Updated on Feb 24, 2022)
The Japanese government announced the relaxing of border restrictions policy on February 17th. However, as of today, we are still expecting the notification of specific entry rules into Japan from the related government departments. The entry restrictions will be lifted on March 1st and the entry measures into the country will be relaxed. However, there is a limitation on the number of people entering the country in a day and this means that international students will not be allowed to enter to Japan all at once but will only be permitted gradually.
Further details for the entry rules and instructions will be uploaded onto this page as soon as it is announced.
■The updated details of borders relaxation
- The university has resumed the visa application system required by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare from February 25th at 10:00 am.
- The entry into Japan is not based on the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) issuance date any longer. The faster you can complete the procedures below, the earlier you can enter Japan. - Receiving a ‘receipt certificate’
- International students are allowed to use public transportation to travel from the airport to the hotel/accommodations within 24 hours after the immigration inspection.
- A three-day waiting period is mandatory only if the COVID-19 test result shows negative on the third day after the pre-entry/immigration inspection/post-entry into Japan.
- Those who have been vaccinated(*) three times and coming from non-designated countries are not required to undergo a quarantine/waiting period.
- The number of entrants is limited to 5,000 per day (including Japanese nationals, re-entry permit holders, etc.)
(Toyo University will apply the ‘receipt certificate’ on your behalf and deliver it to you)
- Applying for the student visa in your country of residence,
- Booking the flight.
(*) Only for the COVID-19 vaccination certificates that approved valid for entry into Japan.
■Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
■Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
(Updated on February 5, 2022)
Because of strengthened border control measures, the new entry of international students has been suspended until 28th, February, 2022.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan：https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
Immigration Services Agency of Japan：https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/hisho06_00099.html
(Japanese government press releases regarding this policy are currently available only in Japanese.)
Beginning November 8, 2021, the new entry of international students into Japan will gradually be permitted.
Students who have their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) must work with their host organization (in your case, Toyo University) to procure a screening certificate from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) before applying for their student visa.
The first step in this process will be for Toyo to collect a series of documents from you to submit to MEXT for review.
After MEXT’s review, the screening certificate will be issued to Toyo University, who will send it along to you. You will then apply for your student visa using your COE, the newly issued screening certificate, and other necessary documents.
It is expected that the time when you can actually enter Japan will be at least one month after the time when your application for the screening certificate is submitted to MEXT. Details will be announced as soon as they are confirmed.
【Applicable time (Toyo University → MEXT)】
※The timing of the review depends on the date of issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility.
Date of issuance of Certificate of Eligibility
|Application period for certificate of examination (via MEXT)|
January 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020
|November 2021 - January 2022|
January 1, 2020 - September 30, 2020
December 2021- January 2022
|January 1, 2020 - March 31, 2021||
|After April 1, 2021||
●Details of the procedure will be announced on the following websites and ToyoNet-ACE.