Re: the Reopening Cross-border Travels and Its Measurements
Overview of Decisions from the Novel Coronavirus Response Headquarters as of August 28th
【The measures of reopening the cross-border travels】
●International students with re-entry permit that the period of stay has expired during the stay abroad are eligible to re-enter Japan. [Added on September 4]
● Re-enter to the country is now permitted to the Japanese resident visa holder who currently abroad and those who left Japan to the areas subject to denial of the entry list, after the designated date.
As previously announced, Japanese resident visa holder who left the country to the areas subject to denial of entry list before the designated date (Note 1) are permitted to re-enter the country from August 5th. However, Japanese resident visa holder with re-entry permit who left the country to the areas subject to denial of entry list from the designated date to August 31st will be allowed to re-enter the country from September 1st onwards, under one condition that the person has to undergo stipulated procedures.
The designated date is April 3rd, for the countries/regions of the areas subject to denial of entry that are listed before April 2nd.
* Upon the re-enter to the country, you should obtain a ‘re-entry related documents’ from the Japanese diplomatic mission and a ‘Certificate of Testing for Covid-19’ in the country/region you reside in, within 72 hours prior to your departure. (Refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan homepage for the details)
● Re-entry of Japanese resident visa holder who is currently living in Japan is permitted.
In the event that a Japanese resident visa holder who is currently living in Japan intends to leave the country, it is now permitted to re-enter from the areas subject to denial of the entry list. This applies to those who have undergone the stipulated procedures that implemented after September 1st and those possess a re-entry confirmation letter (Note 2).
A document to proof a necessary commitment to ensure that the additional quarantine measures are properly implemented and the receipt must be obtained from the immigration bureau prior to the departure.
• Before you leave Japan, please ensure that your residence permit is valid while you are outside Japan. (If you have any concerns, please contact the nearest immigration bureau)
【Strengthening Cross-border Measures】
● 13 new countries/regions (Note 3) have been added to the areas subject to denial of entry list (Japanese nationals are excluded).
(Note 3) In addition to the areas of subject to landing refusal based on the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (159 countries and regions in total including to the new addition areas)
(Latin America) Trinidad and Tobago, Belize
(Africa) Ethiopia, Gambia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tunisia, Nigeria, Malawi, South Sudan, Rwanda, Lesotho
* The immigration measures apply to those who arrive in Japan after midnight on August 30th and the measures will be implemented for the time being. However, even if you depart from your residence country on August 29th and arrive in Japan after midnight on August 30th, you will still be subject to the measures.
* Based on the rules, a Japanese resident visa holder who departed with a re-entry permit by August 29th and reenter from 13 new countries/regions that have been added to the areas subject, is considered to possess special circumstances and allowed to reenter Japan by following the necessary procedures. Please note that Japanese permanent residents are not subject to this entry refusal.
● Strengthen quarantine for those who are entering Japan from the 13 newly added countries/regions (including Japanese nationals)
Both Japanese and non-Japanese nationals who are entering Japan after the midnight of August 30th from the 13 newly added countries/regions are subject to the PCR test.
●Continuation of the current measures
Based on the 41st Coronavirus Infectious Diseases Control Headquarters decision that was held on July 22, 2020, the quarantine will be strengthened further up to the end of August; visa issuance limitation, aircrafts arrival airports restriction and the implementation period of measures to limit the number of arriving passengers is renewed and these will be continued for the time being.
Those who enter Japan from all countries and regions, including those with normal health conditions and negative PCR test results, will be placed at the designated area by the quarantine station (such as home), counted 14 days from the day after the entry and are prohibited to use public transportation including transportation from the airports.
※ Please refer to the link below for the details.