Where is the Center for Global Education and Exchange?

It is located on the 1st floor of Building 8 in the Hakusan Campus.
(Office Hours) Mon - Fri 9:30 - 18:00, Sat 9:30 - 13:00


I'd like to make more Japanese friends, what should I do?

Make friends by proactively talking to people in class, or join a group activity circle. There are many group activity circles at Toyo University.

What is the International Student Association?

The International Student Association is an organization that plans activities and offers advice for international students at Toyo University regarding classes, scholarships, lifestyle and more. All international students are welcome to join.

Part-Time Jobs

I plan on starting a part-time job. Are there any necessary procedures?

After receiving "permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence", you may start working a part-time job. For necessary documents and more information, see details on the "permission to engage in activity other than that under the status of residence" page.

I'd like to work many part-time jobs because I don't have money.

The Immigration Control Law allows you to work up to 28 hours per week (hours exceeding this is a violation punishable by law). During long periods of vacation such as spring, summer, and winter break, you may work up to 8 hours a day.

Can I work while absent from school?

This is not allowed.
If you are not hospitalized or do not have an unavoidable reason to be in Japan during absence, you must return to your home country or leave Japan.

Visas (Status of Residence)/Alien Registration/Passports

Do I need to immediately replace my current alien registration certificate with a resident card?

You are not required to replace your alien registration certificate with a new resident card immediately since the alien registration certificate will be deemed, for a certain period, to be equivalent to the resident card in legal procedures at Regional Immigration Offices and residential procedures before it is issued. So, you are asked to keep your alien registration certificate until a resident card is issued when a renewed period of stay is granted.

How do I extend my period of stay for my visa (status of residence)?

Go to the immigration bureau and apply for "permission to extend period of stay." You can apply 3 months before your period of stay expires. You need to fill out 3 copies of the application, and the university needs to fill out and provide two copies of the application. Be sure to get all necessary documents for application ahead of time. For details, see the "Extending Period of Stay" page.

Will the university take care of visa procedures in my place?

When you have the time, visit the immigration bureau with jurisdiction in the area you live in. Near Tokyo is Shinagawa and Tachikawa, Saitama Immigration Office (for residents in Saitama), and Takasaki Immigration Office (for residents in Gunma/Saitama). For directions and office hours, see the "Immigration Bureau Information" page or visit the Tokyo Immigration Bureau homepage (http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/index_e.html).

What is a "special re-entry permit"?

As for foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and a resident card or an alien registration certificate, they, in principle, will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit when they are re-entering Japan within one year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan*. (*If your period of stay expires within one year, please ensure that you re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.) When you leave Japan, be sure to show your resident card or alien registration certificate at the airport.

My visa will expire before graduation. What should I do?

Follow procedures to "extend your period of stay" at the immigration bureau. If you will graduate within 90 days after expiration and plan to return home after graduation, change your status to "short term visa." For details, check "Iv. Visas (Status of Residence) 2. Extending Period of Stay" or "Iv. Visas (Status of Residence) 5. Short Term Visas"

I lost my alien registration card.

In case your resident card is lost or severely defaced, you are expected to apply for reissuance at the nearest Regional Immigration Office. After the necessary procedures, a new resident card will be issued. When you want to exchange your resident card for other reason than its defacement, you will be also asked to apply for reissuance at the nearest Regional Immigration Office. In such a case, you are required to pay a reissuance fee (\1,300 including actual cost.)

I lost my passport.

First, report the lost article with the police or at a police station, and get a copy of the certificate verifying the lost passport. Take that certificate issued by the police and bring it to the consulate of your respective country's embassy in Japan and follow procedures to reissue it. After reissue, go to immigration to restore your current status of residence's "visa seal" by "transfer of endorsement."


I don't have a guarantor for an apartment.

A First, ask friends and acquaintances. If you cannot find anyone, consult the student life office on each campus. For details, see the "housing" page.

Procedures for Toyo University

Should I get the periodic health check given at the university?

You should. The health check certificate is necessary for applying to jobs, scholarships, and athletic courses. The university cannot issue a health check certificate if you are not medically examined at a periodic health check. In this case, visit a hosiptal at your own expense (approx. 7,000-10,000 yen) to get a health check. Health checks at the university are free, and the health check certificate costs 100 yen.

When do I receive my refund for the tuition fee exemption?

New, reaccepted, and returning students that have paid (pay the full tuition amount) will be refunded in two bank transfers to the student's designated account - once in August of the spring semester and once in January of the autumn semester. For details, see the "Tuition Exemption" page.

I haven't been sent the Tuition Fee Transfer Bill so what should I do? (2nd - 4th years)

The transfer bill is sent to the address registered at the time of enrollment. If you have moved, have you reported the change of address to your campus educational affairs office? If not, please inform the education affairs office.

Can international students also receive professional guidance from the Career Support Center?

Yes you can. Programs for supporting job searches are implemented on each campus. There are also seminars held for international students. These are held in parallel to job hunts, so actively participate in them.

I don't know what kind of job hunt activities I should do.

First, take a look at the job search office located on each campus. For details, see the "Job Search" page.

I'm thinking of taking a break from school. Who should I talk to? What's the longest period I can be away from school?

Please consult your respective educational affairs office regarding absence from school. Also, 1 year is the longest period of absence from school due to illness or inevitable circumstances.