My Number (Social Security and Tax Number System)

My Number” is a 12-digit number assigned to each person registered as a resident in Japan, and is used for administrative procedures for social security, taxes, and disaster countermeasures. If you study in Japan 90 days or longer including those who have student visa, you are notified of your “My Number” via a notification card, which is sent by simple registered mail to the address listed on your Certificate of Residence by the municipal government.

If there are any changes in the information (address, etc.) listed on the notification card or Individual Number Card, please notify the municipal office accordingly. Please be careful of suspicious phone calls and pay attention not to present your “My Number” without any reason.


My Number Website (with multiple languages)

My Number General Toll Free Phone Service (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications)

0120-95-0178 (toll free)

The My Number general toll-free service responds to inquiries concerning the My Number

system, including the notification card and Individual Number Card.

Weekdays: 9:30-22:00

Weekends and holidays: 9:30-17:30 (excluding December 29 to January 3)

When the phone number described above is not accessible from some IP phones:

Regarding the My Number system: 050-3816-9405 (charges apply)

Regarding the notification card or Individual Number Card: 050-3818-1250 (charges apply)

* Toll-free phone service available in English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese

Regarding the My Number system: 0120-0178-26

Regarding the notification card or Individual Number Card: 0120-0178-27