The MEXT Scholarship [Embassy Recommendation] is offered to non-Japanese individuals living overseas who wish to study in Japan. This Scholarship is sponsored by the "Monbukagakusho" or the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology(MEXT). All application procedures for this scholarship are conducted through Japanese embassies, consulates in your countries. From April to May, the recruitment of students wishing to come to Japan in April or October of the following year is conducted. The preliminary screening (document screening, written examination, and interview) is conducted at the Japanese Embassies and Consulate Generals in your country. After the preliminary screening, in consulation with the MEXT's selection committee and the university, the recipients are determined.
To apply for this Scholarship, applicants must first pass the preliminary screening conducted by the local Japanese Embassy or Consulate General. For further information, please refer to the MEXT's website below.
If you apply for a letter of provisional acceptance as a Chinese student selected through Chinese Embassy Recommendation or an international student selected by ASJA, please make sure to inform us when applying.
|April : Open for Applications at the Japanese diplomatic missions|
|Primary Screening at the Japanese diplomatic missions|
|From October : Secondary Screening|
|In February of the following year : Notification of the final decision to the candidates by MEXT|
|In March of the following year : Visa Procedures|
|In April/October of the following year :Arrival in Japan|
After having passed the primary screening conducted by Japanese embassies or consulates,please submit the following documents to the administration office of graduate school which you wish to study via email.
(1) Information Sheet [Wordファイル／336KB](a prescribed form of Toyo University)
(2) A copy of passing Certificate of the Primary Screening issued by Japanese embassy or consulate
(3) A copy of all application documents submitted to the Japanese embassy or consulate General
- Application Form (a prescribed form of MEXT)
- Field of Study and Research Program Plan (a prescribed form of MEXT)
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university attended (issued by that University)
- Graduation certificate or degree certificate of the last university attended (or an attested document certifying that the applicant will graduate from the school, where applicable)
- Recommendation from the president/dean or the adviser of the last university attended
- Abstracts of theses
(4) Copy of proof of Japanese Language (Eju, Jlpt etc.) or English language (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS) proficiency (If you obtain a language proficiency certificate)
・We will not accept any applicants after the deadline according to the MEXT guideline （
August 23 September 13, 2019)
・The result (whether you are accepted or not) may take approximately one month from applicantion.
・Education Affairs Section for Graduate Schools will send a letter of provisional acceptance to the address written on "the information sheet" of the applicants who are accepted upon the screening.
・Most courses at Graduate Schools of Toyo University are currently offered only in Japanese.
However, the following graduate schools/courses can also be taken and completed in English.
- Course of International Culture and Communication Studies (Graduate School of Letters)
- Course of Business Administration and Marketing (Graduate School of Business Administration)
- Course of Public-Private Partnership (Graduate School of Economics)
- Course of Regional Development Studies (Graduate School of Global and Regional Studies)
- Course of International Tourism Management (Graduate School of International Tourism Management)
- Course of Life Sciences (Graduate School of Life Sciences)
- Course of Information Science and Arts (Graduate School of Information Science and Arts)
・The graduate school below has only opened in English.
- Course of Bio-Nano Science Fusion (Graduate School of Interdisciplinary New Science)
Please refer to the following website for course details.
●Graduate School of Letters
●Graduate School of Sociology
●Graduate School of Law
●Graduate School of Business Administration
●Graduate School of Economics
●Graduate School of Global and Regional Studies
●Graduate School of International Tourism Managemant
●Graduate School of Social Welfare
Education Affairs Section for Graduate Schools, Hakusan Campus
Japanese Government scholarship students
Address: 5-28-20, Hakusan. Bunkyo-ku Tokyo 112-8606 Japan
Email : mldaig★toyo.jp (Please change from ★ to @)
●Graduate School of Human Life Design
Administration Section, Asaka Campus
Address: 48-1 Oka, Asaka-shi, Saitama 351-8510 Japan
Email : mlags★toyo.jp (Please change from ★ to @)
●Graduate School of Interdisciplinary New Science
●Graduate School of Science and Engineering
●Graduate School of Information Sciences and Arts
Education and Student Affairs Section, Kawagoe Campus Office
Address: 2100 Kujirai, Kawagoe-shi, Saitama 350-8585 Japan
Graduate School of Science and Engineering
Email : gssce★toyo.jp (Please change from ★ to @)
Graduate School of interdisciplinary New Science
Email : fusion★toyo.jp (Please change from ★ to @)
Graduate School of Information Sciences and Arts
Email : gsisa★toyo.jp (Please change from ★ to @)
●Graduate School of Life Sciences
●Graduate School of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Administration Section, Itakura Campus
Address: 1-1-1 Izumino, Itakura-machi, Ora-gun, Gunma 374-0193 Japan
Email : mlitakura★toyo.jp (Please change from ★ to @)
●Graduate School of Information Networking for Innovation and Design
Akabanedai Administration Office, Akabanedai Campus
Address: 1-7-11 Akabanedai, Kita-ku, Tokyo 115-0053 Japan
Email: ml-iniad-em★toyo.jp（Please change ★ to @）