7. Procedures for Entering and Residing in Japan 入国・在留手続き(外国人留学生対象)

7-1. Quick Reference for Visa (Status of Residence Applications)

7-2. Residence Card

7-2-1. Residence Card
7-2-2. Residence Registration at the Municipal Office
7-2-3. Notification of a change of an item other than the place of residence at Regional Immigration Offices
7-2-4. Notification to Administration Office

7-3. Extending Periods of Stay

7-4. Applying for Work Permit

7-5. Re-entry Permission (Temporarily departing Japan)

7-6. Short-Term Visas

7-7. Continuing Job Search After Graduation

7-8. Procedure for Lost Residence Card

7-9. Procedure for Lost Passport

7-10. Immigration Bureau

7-1. Quick Reference for Visa (Status of Residence Applications)


7-2. Residence Card
7-2-1. Residence Card

 A residence card shall be issued to a foreign national who has stayed in Japan for a mid- to long term as a result of having obtained permits relating to the status of residence, such as a new landing permit, a permit for a change of the status of residence, and a permit for the extension of the period of stay (a mid- to long term resident). Therefore, a residence card has the nature of a certificate with which the Minister of Justice proves that the relevant foreign national legally stays in Japan with the status of residence that permits him/her to stay in Japan for a mid- to long term, up to the permitted period of stay. At the same time, a residence card, which is issued upon obtaining permits relating to the status of residence other than a landing permit, also has the nature of being a written permit, acting as a formal permit in lieu of seals for various permits previously affixed on a passport.

 A residence card contains the important part of the personal information held by the Minister of Justice, such as name, birth date, gender, nationality/region of origin, address, status of residence, period of stay, and whether or not he/she can work. If there is any change in these matters, the relevant person is obliged to notify the change. Therefore, the latest information shall always be reflected in a residence card. A residence card for a person aged 16 or over also contains a photograph of his/her face.

 A conventional alien registration certificate held by a mid- to long term resident shall be deemed equivalent to a residence card for a certain period of time, in procedures for departure from Japan with a Special Re-entry Permit or for other various applications to be filed at immigration bureaus, as well as in procedures for notification of domicile, etc. to be carried out at municipal government offices.

* Be sure to have always your issued residence card with you because you must present it to immigration inspectors, policemen, etc. when you are asked to do so by them.


7-2-2. Residence Registration at the Municipal Office

 International students who stay in Japan for a medium to long period of time (three months or longer) need to register their residence address in Japan at the municipal office in the area where they are scheduled to live within two weeks after they obtain their residence card. Since the notification method and necessary documents for registering your address may vary depending on the municipality, please confirm with the nearest municipal office.

 If your address is changed due to moving residence or other reasons, please be sure to submit the notification of moving out and the notification of moving in to the municipal offices in both areas where you are currently living and where you are scheduled to move.

7-2-3. Notification of a Change of an Item Other than the Place of Residence at Regional Immigration Bureau

 In case there arise the following changes, be sure to notify and apply for them at the
Immigration Bureau bringing your passport, a photo (3 cm x 4 cm) and residence card.

① Notification of a change of name, date of birth, gender, or nationality/region
② Application for updating the validity period of the residence card
③ Application for re-issuance of a residence card
④ Notification concerning the organization to which the applicant belongs

7-2-4. Notification to Administration Office

 If you have any changes or updates, please upload the updated residence card on ToyoNet-ACE.

7-3. Extending Periods of Stay

 The periods of stay for the status of residence "College Student" are 4 years and 3 months, 4 years, 3 years and 3 months, 3 years, 2 years and 3 months, 2 years, 1 year and 3 months, 1 year, 6 months or 3 months. If your period of stay is about to expire while you are in school, go to the Immigration Bureau to extend your period of stay.

 Allow ample time to obtain all documents issued from the university and other documents you need to prepare before applying for the extension at the Immigration Bureau. The number of days it takes the Immigration Bureau to issue extensions depends on the individual's situation and application period.

□ Procedure: Application for Extension of Period of Stay
□ Application Period: From 3 months before until the day period of stay expires
□ Applicant: Actual person
□ Fee: 4,000 yen (when extended)



Required documents

Download the Application for Extension of Period of Stay」 from the Ministry of Justice.

1. Download the PDF/Excel file from ”10 Student”.
Fill in the Forms for applicants 1, 2(P), and 3(P)」.

Access the Google Form and apply for the “Document of university of Enrollment (2 Sheets)”. (Page 4 and 5)

1. Student ID Card
2. Residence Card

Visit the Immigration Bureau by yourself to submit the application.

Application can be done starting from three months before your period of stay expires

1. Application for Period of Stay Extension (①&② above)
Application for permission to engage in activities other than those permitted under the status of residence
   (if you wish to take a part-time job)

3. Certificate of Enrollment (Issued by an auto certificate machine) *Refer to “Note 1” below.
4. University Transcript (Issued by an auto certificate machine) *Refer to “Note 1” below.
5. Passport (Show it to the staff)
6. Resident Card (Show it to the staff)
7. Student ID Card (Show it to the staff)
8. One photo (Taken within three months before applying)

(Note 1)
If you were enrolled at other educational institutions in Japan before you enrolled in Toyo University, you must submit an Academic Transcript and a Certificate of Completion/Graduation issued by the institution (Only if you apply for an extension of your period of stay for the first time after you are enrolled in Toyo University).

(Note 2)
If you are from China, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, or Nepal, it is desirable for you to submit a document that verifies your financial condition. (For more details, refer [Note 3])

Receive permission at the Immigration Bureau. (Two to three months after applying)

1. Inspection Result Notice
Resident Card (Show it to the staff.)
3. Passport (Show it to the staff)
4. Student ID Card (Show it to the staff)
5. Fee (Revenue stamp worth 4,000 yen, which you can buy at the Immigration Bureau)

After your period of stay is extended, submit the documents to Administration Office and ToyoNet-ACE


Documents to be submitted

Where to submit

Certificate of Residence (original)

Administration Office

Residence card of Certificate of Special permanent Residence

ToyoNet-ACE>Registration for International Students・Partial Tuition Waiver

National Health Insurance Card (Only if you extend it at the same time as the extension of your period of stay)

[Note 3]
Applicants from China, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, or Nepal must submit documents as stated in 1, 2, 3, or 4.

1. Self-supporting Bank balance certificate (your own name)*1
2. Scholarship recipient Certificate of scholarship*2
3. Sponsored by someone living outside of Japan i. Written Oath for Defraying Expenses
ii. Please submit either A or B
A. Certificate of remittance
B. A photocopy of your bank statement
4. Sponsored by someone living in Japan

i. Written Oath for Defraying Expenses
ii. Please submit A, B, C or D (of the person covering your expenses.)
A. Taxation certificate stating gross income
B. Gensenchoshuhyo (Withholding tax statement)
C. Copy of a filed Kakuteishinkokusho (Final return form)
D. Bank balance certificate※1

* 1 Bank balance certificate:The amount should be at least 80,000 yen per month.
* 2 Certificate of scholarship:If your scholarship is less than 80,000 yen per month, please submit documentation (such as bank balance certificate) that indicates how you will make up the shortfall.


When an international student doesn’t complete the necessary procedures for extending his/her period of stay or changing his/her status of residence before the period of stay for the status of residence terminates, it will constitute a crime of “illegal stay,” and he/she will face imprisonment of up to 3 years or a fine of up to 3 million yen. Be sure to complete the necessary procedures before your status of residence terminates.

7-4. Applying for Work Permit

① What is “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”? (Before starting a part-time job)

 People with the status of residence "College Student" are allowed to work part-time up to 28 hours per week. To do so, they must obtain “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”. Before starting a part-time job, apply for this permission directly at the Immigration Bureau. Once received, you are allowed to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence until your period of stay expires.

 International students’ priority should be to study at universities and conduct research in Japan. Part-time jobs should not interfere with their studies or research.

【Note】Students on absence from school may not apply.

 Undergraduate and graduate students may work up to 28 hours, and nondegree students, auditing students, and research students attending entire lectures may work up to 14 hours. During long university breaks (summer/winter/spring break), students can work part-time up to 8 hours per day.

Apply for “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted.”

7-5. Re-entry Permission (Temporarily departing Japan)

A special re-entry permit system.
Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and a residence card or an alien registration certificate who will be re-entering Japan within one year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan* will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit when they are re-entering Japan. (*If your period of stay expires within one year, please ensure that you re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.) This system is called "a special re-entry permit system."

Be sure to present your residence card at departure.

 Foreign nationals who have departed from Japan on a special re-entry permit will not be able to extend that permit while abroad. Please note that such foreign nationals

Application for a re-entry permit
Foreign nationals who are ineligible for the special re-entry permit system are required to apply for a "re-entry permit" if they wish to leave and re-enter Japan before their period of stay expires.
When re-entry permit, in case of multiple, is applied, it will be multiply effective during the five years after the permitted day or until the final day of the validity period.


Document Creation

Download and fill in the "Application for Re-entry Permit" from the Immigration website


Apply for Permit at Immigration * Permits normally given on the same day

① Submit the application at the Immigration Bureau ② When approved, receive a "Re-entry Permit Seal" in your Passport


At the Airport

Show your "Residence Card" or "Certificate of Alien Registration" and "Passport with Re-entry Permit"

□ Application Period : Before leaving Japan
* May not be applied for at the airport. Therefore apply at the Immigration Bureau by the day before you leave

□ Applicant : Actual person

□ Required Documents :
Application for Re-entry Permit (download from Immigration homepage)
② Passport (show)
③ Residence Card or Certificate of Alien Registration (show)
④ Student ID (show)
⑤ Fee

□ Fees:
Single Re-entry (3,000 yen)
Multiple* (6,000 yen)

* Multiple: Valid for multiple times 5 years from permit day (6 years for special permanent resident) or until period of stay expires (whichever comes first)

□ Processing Period: Same day
* Permits normally issued on the same day, but as it may take time, apply by the day before you leave.

7-6. Short-Term Visas

① If students are within 90 days of graduation and their visa expires, they may change their status
of residence to a "short-term visa".*

* Select 「1 Temporary Visitor」

□ Application period : When there is reason to change status before period of stay expires
* May not be applied for at the airport. Therefore apply at the Immigration Bureau by the day before you leave.

□ Applicant : Actual person

□ Required documents: There are no documents the university needs to prepare.
1. Application for permission to change status of residence (short-term visa)
2. Passport (show)
3. Residence Card or Certificate of Alien Registration (show)
4. Certificate of scheduled graduation (issued by auto certificate machine)
5. University transcript (issued by auto certificate machine)
6. Document verifying financial payment capability (any of the following)
- Balance book of the applicant (show the original and submit a copy)
- If receiving money from overseas: Certificate of transfer or notice of received money
(show the original and submit a copy)
- If payments are made by people overseas other than student living in Japan: Document verifying payments made
instead of students and statement of earnings or residence tax statement (show the original and submit a copy)

□ Fee: 4,000 yen (If visa is issued)

□ Processing period: Same day (On the day you submit your application at the Immigration Bureau)

- You cannot apply if you do not have all the documents.
- If approved, you will be able to extend your stay, usually for 30 days, but the number of days granted may vary depending on individual cases. (30 days will start from the day you go to the Immigration Bureau, not the expiration date of your Residence Card).
- After you change your status, you will not be able to work (part-time jobs). Also, you may not be able to receive benefits from your municipality. Please ask the municipality for more details.

② If any of your family members, acquaintances or friends visit Japan for a short-term stay of up to 90 days for a purpose such as attending your entrance or graduation ceremony, they need to apply for a Temporary Visitor Visa as described below. Please be advised that visa application requirements and the procedure may vary depending on the nationality of the visitors.

【If the visitor is a Chinese national】

□ Applicant: Relative, acquaintance or friend

□ Required documents: The applicant (family/acquaintance/friend), the inviting person (international student), and the guarantor (e.g. professor) must prepare the required documents as listed below.


【Notes about filling in details and applications】

・When you invite your relatives with the guarantee of a professor or associate professor at the university, the only documents required are a Letter of Guarantee and a Certificate of Employment of the professor/associate professor. (If the professor or associate professor is a foreign national, then a copy of both sides of his/her residence card is also required.)

・If you are a Japanese government-financed international student and are inviting your relatives, submit the Certificate of Residence and Certificate of Receipt of a Scholarship. A Letter of Guarantee need not be submitted.

・The university will not act as a guarantor nor introduce a guarantor.

【If the visitor is a foreign national other than Chinese】

 Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) website to find out whether your visitor needs a visa to enter Japan. If a visa is required, prepare the required documents listed on the MOFA website. Required documents may vary depending on the country or how the application is made—whether applying in person to a Japanese embassy or consulate, or through a proxy such as a travel agency. Submission of documents other than those listed on the MOFA website may be required; be sure to also check the website of the Japanese embassy or consulate in the country or region where the applicant resides.

7-7. Continuing Job Search After Graduation

 In principle, you should finish your job hunting before you graduate. If you wish to continue your job hunting after graduating from Toyo University, you may apply for a "Designated Activities" visa, and if approved, you may continue your job hunting within Japan. The period allowed is 6 months. After that, you may apply for an extension of another six months (only once). In this case, you are required to get a letter of recommendation from your university. Additional extension of your stay in Japan may be granted of you are selected to participate in municipal government’s job support program (internship).


7-8.Procedure for Lost Residence Card

7-9. Procedure for Lost Passport

 If you lose your passport, report the lost article to the police or at a police station first, and get a
copy of the certificate verifying the lost passport. Take that certificate issued by the police to the
consulate of your respective country's embassy in Japan and follow the necessary procedures to
reissue it.After reissue, go to Immigration Bureau to restore your current status of residence's "visa seal" by
"transfer of endorsement."

7-10.Immigration Bureau

7-1. 在留カード・マイナンバーカード

7-1-1. 在留カードとは
7-1-2. 在留カード取得後の市区町村での手続
7-1-3. マイナンバーカード
7-1-4. 在留カードの情報に変更が生じた場合における赤羽台事務課での手続き

7-2. 東洋大学在留資格申請システム (PUGS)

7-3. 在留資格にかかる各申請書早見表

7-4. 在留期間の更新・在留資格の変更

7-5. 資格外活動許可

7-6. 一時出国

7-7. 短期滞在(留学から短期滞在への資格変更)

7-8. 海外から親族等を招へいする場合

7-9. 卒業後も日本で就職活動をする際の手続き

7-10. 所属機関に関する届出

7-11. 在留カードを紛失した場合の手続き

7-12. パスポートを紛失した場合の手続き

7-13. 入国管理局案内

7-1. 在留カード

7-1-1. 在留カードとは

 * 在留カードには偽変造防止のためのICチップが搭載されており、カード面に記載された事項の全部または一部が記録されます。
 *  交付された在留カードは、常時携帯し、入国審査官、警察官等から掲示を求められた場合には、提示しなければなりません。在留カードを携帯していない場合には、罰金が科せられる場合があります。

7-1-2. 在留カード取得後の市区町村での手続


7-1-3. マイナンバーカード

マイナンバーは、国民一人ひとりが持つ12 桁の番号で、社会保障、税、災害対策の行政手続で必要となります。

マイナンバーについて(多言語対応Web サイト)
・マイナンバー総合フリーダイヤル(総務省) 0120-95-0178(無料)
平日 9:30~22:00 土日祝9:30~17:30 (年末年始12 月29 日~1 月3 日を除く)

【一部IP 電話等で上記ダイヤルに繋がらない場合(有料)】


7-1-4. 在留カードの情報に変更が生じた場合における赤羽台事務課での手続き

7-2. 東洋大学在留資格申請システム (PUGS)

2020 年4 月1 日より、新入生、在校生の在留資格申請、更新手続き方法が変更となります。

・ログインID は入学前の在留資格認定証明書代理申請時に作成した個人メールアドレスの場合も、入学後は全員大学のメールアドレスに自動的に変更されます。
  * 初期PW はログイン後必ず変更するようにお願いします。
  * 使い方マニュアルやお知らせ等は「HELP」から確認できます。

・東洋大学グローバルサービス株式会社(TUGS)(白山キャンパス8 号館2 階)
・質問等時間:月~金 9:30~13:00、14:00~17:00
  * 申請書類の配布時間はシステムからのメールにてお知らせします。

7-3. 在留資格にかかる各申請書早見表

 * PUGSログインID:大学メールアドレス(
 * 初期PW:本人の誕生日(YYYYMMDD)*ログイン後はシステムから必ずパスワードを再設定してください。

7-4. 在留期間の更新・在留資格の変更


(※1)例えば6/1~6/30 で在留期限が切れる学生は、原則4/1 にお知らせメールが届きます。その翌月の5/1~5/31 に各大学窓口で書類の受取が可能です。
(※2)入学前に日本国内で他の教育機関に在籍していた場合、前校の「成績証明書」と「修了/卒業証明書」が必要。(入学後、初めて在留期間更新する場合のみ) (※3)中国・ミャンマー・バングラデシュ・モンゴル・スリランカ・ベトナム・ネパールの方は、経費支弁状況に関する書類を求められる場合があります。以下1~4 の内該当する書類を準備してください。
   支弁方法  必要書類
 1 学生本人が経費を負担する場合
※預金残高・送金額の目安は月額12 万円以上です。
 2  他人支弁の場合 海外より仕送りがある場合は「送金通知書」または送金の事実が分かる通帳の写し 
 3  日本に居住する本人以外が在留中の経費を負担する場合  経費支弁者の「源泉徴収票」もしくは「住民税課税証明書」
 4  奨学金を受給する場合  奨学金受給証明書
※奨学金が月額12 万円に満たない場合は不足分を証明できる預金残高証明書等もあわせて提出してください。

【注意】外国人学生が、在留期間更新や在留資格変更の手続きをせずに在留期限が過ぎてしまうと「不法滞在」となり、3 年以下の懲役若しくは禁錮または300 万円以下の罰金に処せられます。在留期限が切れる前に必ず更新手続きをしてください。
■ 他の中長期在留資格から「留学」への変更

7-5. 資格外活動許可

① 資格外活動許可とは?(アルバイトをはじめる前に)



* 大学で入国管理局への一括申請は行いません。各自で入国管理局へ直接申請してください。


7-6. 一時出国

また、日本を出国する際、空港の出国カウンターで在留カードを提示するとともに、「再入国出国記録(再入国ED カード)」に「一時的な出国であり再入国する予定」である旨の意思表明欄にチェックしてください。
みなし再入国制度と再入国出国記録(再入国ED カードに関する情報)は以下の法務省Web サイトをご確認下さい。

* みなし再入国制度
* 再入国出国記録(再入国ED カード)

7-7. 短期滞在(留学から短期滞在への資格変更)

□ 申請時期:資格変更の事由が生じたときから在留期間満了日以前
□ 申請者:本人

7-8. 海外から親族等を招へいする場合

入学式や卒業式で留学生の皆さんの親族・知人・友人などが90 日以内の「短期滞在」を目的として日本を訪れる場合は、来日する方の国籍に応じて以下のように申請を行ってください。

7-9. 卒業後も日本で就職活動をする際の手続き


7-10. 所属機関に関する届出


7-11. 在留カードを紛失した場合の手続き

□ 申請者:本人
□ 必要書類:
① 在留カード再交付申請書(出入国在留管理局ホームページからダウンロードする)
② 写真
③ 遺失届出証明書など(警察・交番でもらう)
④ パスポート(提示)
□ 手数料:かかりません  * 在留カードが再交付されたら、必ず各キャンパス担当窓口に在留カードを提示してください。

7-12. パスポートを紛失した場合の手続き


7-13. 入国管理局案内

Adobe Reader

PDF形式のファイルをご覧いただく場合には、Adobe社が提供するAdobe Readerが必要です。
Adobe Readerをお持ちでない方は、バナーのリンク先からダウンロードしてください。(無料)