Toyo University provides information to students for private housing through the following real estate agencies.

Hakusan, Hakusan 2nd, Asaka Campus

Students Information Center has information and refers apartment all year round.


Apartments with a total of deposit and key money of 3 months or under.

Referral Fee

Direct inquires to the Students Information Center


Students Information Center Ikeburo Branch
TEL: 0120-154-749

Kyoritsu Maintenance

Student dormitories recommended by the university (Managed and maintained by Kyoritsu Maintenance. Facilities are not managed by the university).


Breakfast and dinner provided, furnished, live in superintendent

Referral Fee

None. However, there is a dorm entrance fee.


Kyoritsu Maintenance Student Dormitory Office
TEL: 0120-88-1030

Kawagoe Campus

Mini Mini Johoku Kawagoe run consulting sessions for showcasing apartments from late February to early March (excluding weekends and holidays). There are notice boards within the campus with information regarding available housing. Outside of the above stated period, Mini Mini Johoku Kawagoe is an agency open all year long.


Mini Mini Johoku Kawagoe
TEL: 049-228-8832

2.Comprehensive Coverage for International Student Housing

Comprehensive coverage for international student housing consists of overseas travel insurance and guarantor's compensation fund. This system is in place in the case of an accident where compensation is made and to cause less trouble for a housing guarantor. International students that enroll into this compensation plan may have the university become a joint guarantor within the scope of compensation.

If there are 31 days or less until graduation, a student cannot enroll into this plan. Compensation (joint guarantee) terminates when the "College (Pre-college) Student" status of residence ends or when a student in not enrolled in the university due to graduation or withdrawal.


Eligible Parties

Compensation Details

Compensation Period
1 Year2 Year
Remaining period of stay is "6 months" or "1 year"Remaining period of stay is "2 years"

Overseas Travel Insurance

International Student
(Status of residence is "College (Pre-college) Student")

Damage Liability
Insurance in the case the International Student is legally liable for damages caused by an accident in everyday life during the insured period

50 million yen limit

50 million yen limit

Disability from Injury
Insurance in the case the International Student is injured during the insured period and develops a physical disability within 180 of a fortuitous accident.

2.4 million yen limit

2.4 million yen limit

Guarantor Compensation Fund

(The following organizations and persons as joint guarantors when the International Student enters a rental agreement to live in private housing)

Guarantor Compensation
Compensation fund in the case the joint guarantor must cover costs of delayed rent to the landlord or for repairs to restore rental housing to its original state

0.3 million yen limit

0.3 million yen limit

・University, teaching staff, International Students Center Director, International Students department head
・Local international exchange association/ center etc.
Insurance Premiums4,000 yen8,000 yen

Flow of Procedures

(1) Real estate agent tentatively reserves housing

The real estate agent looks for desired housing
It is normally necessary to have a guarantor and to enroll into insurance when entering contracts.

(2) Consult with the university 's Student Life Office

Inquire about the "Comprehensive Coverage for International Student Housing".

(3) Confirm important points of (2) with the landlord

Confirm the important points of (2) you heard about with the real estate agent and landlord.
※The university will not serve as a joint guarantor if an understanding is not reached.

(4) Follow procedures at the university Student Life Office

Fill out and submit the "Request for enrollment and handling payments".

(5) Pay insurance premiums

Transfer the premiums owed with the "Request for enrollment and handling transfers" at a Japan Post Bank.

(6) Submit a transfer of payment invoice and receipt

Submit a "Transfer of payment invoice and receipt" to the Student Life Office.

(7) Pick up proof of enrollment

A "Proof of comprehensive coverage for international student housing" will be issued, so pick it up at the Student Life Office.

(8) Fill out the rental agreement

The university will sign and seal the "rental agreement" as a guarantor.

(9) Enter the rental agreement with the real estate agency

Present the proof of enrollment in (7) to the real estate agent to confirm the "Comprehensive coverage for international student housing".

(10) Submit a copy of t he rental agreement

Be sure to submit a "Rental agreement copy" to the Student Life Office.

(11) Enter housing

After moving in, if there is an accident, break of contract, change of residence or guarantor, promptly contact the Student Life Office at your campus.

3.Change of residence (Moving)

When moving, the following procedures are necessary. If moving to another country, please allow for extra time to follow procedures.

*Before moving, inform the landlord and real estate agency of your intention. Check if the contract has a clause that states "inform X months beforehand".

Procedure TimingProcedure Details

Up to 1 month before

  • Procedures for the transfer and payment of mobile phones or landlines
  • Disposal of large trash (furniture and bulky trash)
Call the Public Cleaning Bureau of your municipal office to book a date close to moving day for trash to be taken for a fee.

Up to 1 week before

  • Contact to stop electricity, water, and gas
  • Procedures to change address or cancel bank accounts, credit cards, or with other financial institutions
  • Submit a change of address form with the post office
If moving within Japan, your mail from your old address can be forwarded to your new address for 1 year after moving for free.
Procedure can be done online.

1 day before

  • Return your National Health Insurance Card
Before moving, return your national health insurance card to your municipal office and settle insurance premiums.
If leaving the country, settle insurance premiums up to a month in advance.
  • Pay taxes
Be sure to pay any unpaid taxes.

Moving day

  • Clean the room, return the keys
Remove all of your belongings from the room.
After moving all your luggage out, have the landlord and/or real estate agent inspect for damages, and any repairs will be deducted from your deposit before it is returned at a later date.
Don't forget to turn in your keys!

After moved out

  • Apply for changes on your Certificate of Alien Registration
Within 14 days after moving into your new residence, go to the municipal office in your area to update the address on your Certificate of Alien Registration.
Even if you moved within the same municipality, it is necessary to update your address.
  • Reentering National Health Insurance (For moves within Japan)
After updating your address on your Certificate of Alien Registration, go to the national health insurance division to enroll into the national health insurance system again.
Even if you moved within the same municipality, it is necessary to update your address.