- Kumiko Iijima, Associate Professor (Department of Nutritional and Health Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
- Main Research Theme: Softening and hardening of beans and vegetables in cooking
Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Today’s nutrition and health builds a brighter tomorrow.
There are growing expectations regarding research on food and health that underpins high-quality lifestyles full of health and vigor. The Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences enables students to acquire comprehensive knowledge regarding food safety and its functions, the human body and nutrition, and to solve these problems in the real world.
- Department of Food and Life Sciences (Food Science Course)
- The Food Science Course, in the Department of Food and Life Sciences, aims to produce experts that can contribute to people’s health and food safety in the globalizing food field, adopting scientific perspectives toward food, based on knowledge and techniques related to cutting-edge biotechnology. Students can learn basic bioscience regardless of whether their focus is in the humanities or sciences.
- Department of Food and Life Sciences (Sports and Food Function Course)
- Students in the Sports and Food Function Course, in the Department of Food and Life Sciences, aim to become experts in exercise and nutrition so as to meet current social needs through knowledge of nutrition, considering the respective exercise and nutrition required by persons of different ages, genders and lifestyles. We aim to foster human resources that can meet a wide range of public health needs by learning comprehensive roles and relationships among health, food functions, and sports.
- Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences
- With a pass rate of 97.7%, 86 of the first students in our department passed the National Examination for Registered Dietitians held in March 2017.
- Students in the Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences learn relationships between people’s health and food based on knowledge of biosciences. We aim to cultivate specialists, including managerial dieticians who support dietary lifestyles, in various fields regarding food and nutrition. Also, we provide students with the mentality and ability to learn and explore by themselves, with the broad perspective and range of learning opportunities unique to a comprehensive university.
The Learning Columns present articles and videos that describe the activities of Toyo University students and departments.
Taking the initiative and bolding stepping forward will inevitably reveal a whole range of new possibilities. Learning, studying abroad, volunteering...
Prepared in both written and video form, these columns present the experiences of current Toyo University students who devote themselves to their interests and activities.
- Makoto Fujisawa, Associate Professor (Department of Nutritional and Health Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
- Research Field: Biological science, Functional biochemistry
- Masako Ota, Associate Professor (Department of Nutritional and Health Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
- Research Field: Sports Nutrition, Characteristics of Washoku, Functional Displays of Food, Supplements
- Nobumitsu Miyanishi, Professor (Department of Food Life Sciences / Faculty of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
- Research Field: Structural-Functional Analysis of Sugar Chains and Carbohydrate-Related Molecules